Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011

Diplomatic Reaction

Answers to the questions of the "Diplomatic Reaction group":

1. I am and always was a citizen of Germany. At the day the earthquake happened I was in Germany where I would stay until April 13th due to some trouble with my airline company. When the situation in Fukushima became obvious I tried to gather as much information as possible. I was very concerned and shocked about the chain-reaction triggered by the earthquake. Before returning to Japan, I had some serious talk with friends and my family wether to return or stay in Germany. At the day I left Germany I wasn't sure if the situation was as bad as shown in the German media or as controlled as shown in the Japanese media. To be honest I am still not sure but try to make the best out of it. I love Japan but I wouldn't be here if I would believe my life or health is in serious danger. But I can understand that other people don't want to take the risk.
2. Soon after 3.11, I saw in the news that the German embassy would try to contact the ca. 5000 Germans in Japan but I didn't receive any such tries. I hope it was because they knew that I had left Japan before the disaster. Because of visa issues etc, my email and home address as well as my address in Tokyo should be known to them, so that shouldn't be the reason. I hope it wasn't because they were busy moving the embassy from Tokyo to Osaka.
In the aftermath, I got all my information from somewhere else but these days the Internet page provides weekly information, which I (at least) find reliable. So I check in once in a while.
3. Since I was not in Japan at this time, I don't know much about any actions taken by the embassy. I know that they moved to Osaka to be out of the line and that they recommended to stay out or to leave Japan if possible. I was not there, so I won't judge this recommendation.
I am not sure if this list existed before but the embassy also strongly recommend citizens to register their contact information at the German embassy.
4. Well, it's easy to say out of the perspective of a person who was not in Japan when the things happened. But I would have wished that the embassy would have contacted people. I know from a Swiss friend that his embassy not just contacted him but also offered him a flight back to Switzerland. Of course their are less Swiss in Japan than Germans but therefore the German embassy could have employed more people. 
5. I am sorry but I have no idea. I know that Japan and Germany always had good bilateral relations and I don't think that much will change in the future. I know that the German people are very touched by the things and that a lot of found-raising events etc have take place but I am not sure if this because of the dramatical situation itself or because we have tight relations. But this is not about official political relations.
6. I was surprised that Japan does not except much help from other countries. I think in times of crises they should swallow their pride and get all the help they can get. Who said they have to deal with this alone? Especially because the radioactivity could effect more countries besides Japan. And an underdeveloped country might not be able to send money but maybe people who can help with rebuilding houses etc. I wish they would see help separated from political context...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen