Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2011

2011-09-17 - Day 5



7:50
I'm a little bit annoyed. The new people arrived quite early and the first thing they did was shouting around and going through the tents to ask how many people are in each tent. If three pair of working boots are in front of the tent and just three women are in the camp how many people do they expect to be there when all other tents were empty? I know math isn't everybody's thing but please... So our night ended early. We had a few earthquakes this morning and it started to rain again, so my mood isn't exactly the best right now.
But the very funny thing was that they made the orientation a few minutes before the bus left. Why couldn't they do this after arriving and BEFORE they made us get up. Sure they will stay just two days but we are staying 9 days and the worst thing which can happen to us is not getting enough sleep. Then you can’t concentrate as well and accidents happen more easily besides that you feel sleepy which isn't exactly the best motivation to crouch through the mud. I don't know why JAR chose such leaders... I hope from now they do a better job. To say hi or good morning would have been a nice start too... no idea with whom we are dealing here with…

16:10
Today wasn't a good day. The work was boring and totally inefficient. Unfortunately the four new leaders wouldn't ask Kato-san or Ruben for help and had no idea how to deal with the things. We spent one hour in the volunteer center before getting all things done. We arrived at the site after 11am and worked until 2:45pm with one hour lunch break and 3 small 10 minutes breaks. That makes a total working time of 2 hours. Considering that we need around 4 hours for the way to and from RT... It's really frustrating. Ruben, Patrick and I decided to take a day off tomorrow. The group is too big and we have too many people in it who think volunteering is a nice adventure weekend holiday. It's really sad especially because there are of course also good and motivated people but the whole group will just stay until Sunday. I think if I would be here for just two days and then my time gets so wasted like today, I would be really angry. The main leader adjusted quickly but especially the female leaders is really annoying... The one who made us get up in the morning without reason... She is also one of the chatting non-productive ladies who really doesn’t get anything done. I wouldn't mind her so much if she didn’t make things even more difficult for us. I asked her in the beginning of the work day how to separate the trash and she said we should put all non-burnable things together in one sack. I reminded her that we would always at least separate the glass but she insisted that ALL goes together without checking back with the others... One hour later they decided that it would be better to separate the trash... Yes, thank you, we weren't inefficient in working before. And I guess you can imagine how much fun it is to separate trash out of a bag in which glass is... I'm a really patient person but the female leader got me on the wrong foot. I hope JAR won't send her again. To be in RT and doing this work is difficult enough, I don't need an annoying person to tell me what to do when she has no idea about what is going on. Maybe Satoshi set the standard for leaders quite high but this woman would be better leading a book club than a volunteer group.
Ok, now I feel better :)
The work today was similar to the work we had to do at the old couple’s house. Picking trash and take out plants with their roots. The soil was nearly sand, so a lot easier to lift. Ruben and Patrick found some heavy rocks and poles to make them happy after they had to sadly dig in the sand for an hour. I think they need a challenge and sweat to have a good working day.
In the volunteer center they warned us of bees but I was seriously surprised when a whole hive suddenly made it's round over our working side. As quickly as they came, they were gone without hurting anybody or showing any interest in us but still... Quite impressive...
It was our first time on this working site. It is a bit far, maybe already the next village. They have tsunami breakers directly on the coast which are nearly undamaged, so the wave must got over it easily which is really disturbing because the wall was really high... And I had better not think of what would have happened if the wall would have broken... The owner was a funny old man. He was joking a lot with Cecilia and the guys... He said the volunteers are the reason why he gets up in the morning. I wasn't surprised that he smelled like alcohol already when we arrived. I read a few essays about post-disaster problems besides the obvious destruction and alcoholism is one of the bigger issues. Sad but who wants to judge the hopeless?
When we arrived in the volunteer center it started to rain. I hope for the others’ sake it stops soon otherwise they will have to work in mud tomorrow and that is really no fun.

22:20
Today is the day before our day off, we should do something special but I feel already so sleepy and kind of relaxed that I might go to bed very soon. I thought the others would stay awake longer since it's their last night but no party mood until now and most of them have already disappeared into their tents.
Tonight on the way to the onsen Cecilia dropped her phone. We went back to get it but another girl had already picked it up. Aya... She seems to be really nice and I hope she'll write something for our homepage. As soon as we are back and I had a chance to upload the new diaries and the video, we'll start to spread the link. I should try to install a counter for people who view the web side... Let's hope a lot ;)
Ok, now it's really time for the sleeping bag. We are 4 in the tent tonight... Might get a little bit warm ^^








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen