Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2011

2011-09-14 – Day 2

7:45
I had a short night but I feel surprisingly good. My arms are hurting a little bit but all over I am fine. Well done, onsen :)
It started to rain yesterday evening and even it stopped for now it still looks like it could continue any time. The old conflict about the weather modest temperatures but mud, or sweating in the sun but a dry work site... Maybe if it stays cloudy it's the best for our work.
I'm wondering if there are still things to do like cleaning up houses or if this work is finally done? Let's see what we get today... Still very motivated ^^

16:00
Today we could clearly see how much work was done since we were here in May. There are still nearly no new houses but most of the fields and former houses are cleaned and they have also collected the waste close to the streets the volunteers were leaving after cleaning a site. The big things are all collected at assigned places. The piles are impressive but (hopefully) ready to get recycled.

The work today was easy but boring. We helped an old couple to free their ground of stones, metal and glass. The weather stayed cloudy and it was nicely fresh. My knees are a little bit sore (I still have no talent for squatting) but it was the perfect contrast to yesterday, so I'm totally fine with it.
The old couple was really nice. The man helped us working and the woman cooked some pumpkin for us. I was surprised that she came to me to give them to us... possibly the only person who can't speak Japanese at all... I hope she didn't tell me the secret of being married for ever and I didn't understand it. Just joking ;)
But it was a really good feeling to help somebody doing what they can't do alone. Especially when those people are so cool like the couple today. I hope the shack close to the field is just for storage and not the place where they are living in :(
Oh, and one more thing happened to me today. Cecilia and I went for a little walk during lunch break and on our way back a man would start talking to us. He asked us where we are from and how often we came here but he told us also about himself and the disaster. He was lucky because he lives in a high place but his older sister went missing. They identified her remains in July... He was relieved, it was clear for him that she must have died but now he knows and can try say good-bye. He now works for the Volunteer center and takes photos of the city. He also expressed how great it is to get help but that the general mood dropped extremely during the last months. A kind of depression he couldn't really explain but it would come suddenly and hard on the people. He spoke with very much emotion and left us a little bit suddenly. I think he got overwhelmed... I hope with the reconstruction of the city, the emotional pressure will get lighter... And of course with time...

22:00
Cecilia cooked for us again and I ate a waaay too much. The onsen and my full stomach... Time for my sleeping bag!!!








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen